The need to encourage and equip the next generation of community leaders in Memphis is obvious to those who know our city best. To meet this demand, NEXUS provides a place for our young leaders to learn proven leadership skills in a mutually challenging environment from top-flight coaches and mentors.
- A Protege-driven program, whereby the proteges commit to participate in the monthly sessions, to be trained in leadership alongside their mentor and to meet with their mentor once per month informally outside of the monthly sessions, arranged at the convenience of both. Proteges are asked to come to the program with goals they wish to accomplish over the ten-month program.
- Mentor recruitment takes place through the NEXUS Network-alumni and current participants and is based on the needs provided by the protege applicants. Mentors are proven leaders within their profession and the community; leaders NEXUS would like to see duplicated.
- Attend the Orientation which focuses on individual strengths, mentor/protege training, and opporuntities to get to know class participants.
- Nine monthly interactive teaching sessions led by local key-leaders. Both mentors and protégés are required to attend at least seven of the nine monthly sessions.
- Service Projects which offer participants an opportunity to make a difference and learn more about non-profits in Memphis.
- A reasonable cost, subsidized by corporate sponsors and private donations. The program fee is $650 for mentors and protégés, and includes an opening retreat, curriculum materials and monthly dinner sessions. Scholarships are available upon request.
- A proven curriculum, timely assignments that include books, articles, assessments, TedTalks, Podcasts, etc. The speakers teach on leadership topics NEXUS thinks every leader must master including: Asking, Building, Communicating, Dreaming, Ethical Decision Making, Focusing, Leading Through Change, Mentoring, Motivating, and Planning.
An ongoing goal is to keep members of the NEXUS Network engage within the NEXUS Program and our city. NEXUS Alumni and current participants are key leaders within the community who want to continue to have a pulse of the needs of our city, the Memphis leadership community, and young emerging leaders of the next generation.
NEXUS creates opportunities for current participants and alumni to engage, learn, connect, and network together through many special events throughout the year. Alumni are always invited to the monthly speaker sessions to hear a motivating message from a local key leader around a specific leadership topic.
NEXUS provides many special event opportunities for members of the NEXUS Network which include workshops, NEXUS Night Out, NEXUS IN MOTION, lunch events around topics and proven alumni, and more.
Opportunities are always evolving for the NEXUS Network to engage depending on the need and climate of our community.